Oyo School Abduction: Husband of kidnapped principal urges caution in public discussion of rescue efforts
Home - News

Oyo School Abduction: Husband of kidnapped principal urges caution in public discussion of rescue efforts

today

Oyo School Abduction: Husband of kidnapped principal urges caution in public discussion of rescue efforts

Admin By Adewale Adewale
  • 131
  • 3 min
  • 0

Commends Makinde, security operatives

Efforts to secure the release of abducted pupils, teachers and school administrators kidnapped during a coordinated attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State are progressing, despite growing public anxiety over the incident.

Professor Wole Alamu, husband of one of the abducted school principals, Mrs Folawe Alamu of Community Grammar School, Esiele, disclosed this on Wednesday during a telephone interview with Eagle 102.5 FM, Ilese-Ijebu, Ogun State.

While expressing optimism over ongoing rescue efforts, Professor Alamu cautioned against public commentary capable of undermining security operations.

"We are going to grant interview, but not now. The work is seriously being done underneath. Anything you say now may jeopardise the rescue operations," he said.

He commended Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, and security agencies for what he described as coordinated and relentless efforts aimed at ensuring the safe rescue of those still in captivity.

The abduction incident, which has drawn national concern, followed an attack by armed men on schools within Esiele community in Oriire Local Government Area, during which pupils, teachers and school administrators were kidnapped.

The attack also claimed lives, with the Oyo State Police Command earlier confirming the killing of a teacher, Michael Oyedokun, an assistant headmaster identified as Mr Adesiyan, and an okada rider.

Schools reportedly affected include Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, and L.A Primary School.

Public concern heightened after a viral video surfaced online showing Mrs Alamu emotionally appealing to the Federal Government, Oyo State Government, security agencies, the Christian Association of Nigeria and Nigerians to intervene and facilitate their rescue.

The visibly distressed principal said the abductees had remained in captivity since the attack.

Meanwhile, security agencies have intensified operations across affected communities and adjoining forest areas believed to serve as hideouts for the abductors.

The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, is also reported to have strengthened rescue efforts through the deployment of specialised intelligence and tactical assets.

Governor Makinde had earlier disclosed that two surveillance aircraft recently acquired by the state government were being prepared to provide aerial intelligence support over forest corridors linked to criminal activities.

Authorities further revealed that some suspects had been arrested over alleged roles in aiding the kidnappers through intelligence and route navigation around the Old Oyo National Park axis.

The Oyo State Government has maintained that while efforts remain focused on securing the victims' freedom, it would not encourage ransom financing.

Security agencies have continued to urge residents to remain calm and allow ongoing operations to proceed without interference.

Prev Post

Just In: Fubara withdraws from APC guber primaries, cites peace, unity in Rivers

Next Post

2027: Atiku appears before ADC presidential screening committee

Newsletter

Get every weekly update & insights

Comment(s) 0

Leave a Reply

BACK TO TOP