Pressure Guinea-Bissau junta to announce election winner, Jonathan urges ECOWAS
Home - News

Pressure Guinea-Bissau junta to announce election winner, Jonathan urges ECOWAS

yesterday

Pressure Guinea-Bissau junta to announce election winner, Jonathan urges ECOWAS

Admin By Adewale Adewale
  • 60
  • 5 min
  • 0

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has called on leaders of the Economic Community of West African States to urgently intervene in Guinea-Bissau by compelling the country’s military authorities to announce the winner of its presidential election.

Jonathan, who returned to Nigeria on Thursday after being evacuated from Guinea-Bissau following a military takeover, stated this in a chat with State House correspondents after briefing President Bola Tinubu at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, on Saturday.

Explaining the purpose of his visit to the Villa, Jonathan said it was customary for former presidents involved in regional or continental engagements to brief the incumbent leader upon their return, especially ahead of an ECOWAS leaders’ meeting, which he will not be attending.

Jonathan, who led the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission to monitor the polls, noted that voting had been concluded and the collation of results was nearly completed before the military intervened.

“The key thing is that the election was concluded. Tallying of the results was almost concluded. In fact, the results are known. The winner of that election must be announced,” he said.

While acknowledging that military force was not an option, as it could endanger lives, Jonathan urged ECOWAS leaders to directly engage the junta.

“What I’m asking ECOWAS leaders to do is to reach out to the military leadership in Guinea-Bissau. Talk to them. They are human beings. They know the right thing to be done,” he said.

He also demanded the immediate release of the detained opposition candidate, whom he insisted had committed no offence.

“The man did not announce himself as the winner of the election. If he had done that, they could say it was a treasonable offence. So, there was no reason to arrest him. They should release him and announce the results,” Jonathan added.

He further said that if the military cooperates, the duly elected candidate should be inaugurated as president to restore constitutional order.

Expressing frustration over recurring political instability on the continent, Jonathan said Africans were “tired” of continuous democratic setbacks.

He dismissed suggestions that the incident amounted to a “palace coup,” describing it instead as a “ceremonial coup” staged by the country’s head of state.

“What happened in Guinea-Bissau is not a palace coup. We know real coups and palace coups. This was not even a palace coup. I described it as a ceremonial coup, a ceremony conducted by the head of state himself,” he said.

Prev Post

80% of educated Nigerians are Christians, 85% of economy is controlled by Christians – Bishop Kukah dismisses genocide claim

Next Post

Army rescues 21 kidnapped passengers in Kogi

Newsletter

Get every weekly update & insights

Comment(s) 0

Leave a Reply

BACK TO TOP